Monday, January 17, 2011

Europe Trip Update...

So all is moving forward with our upcoming trip back across the pond.  We are two months out and couldn't be more ready for the trip!

This weekend we finalized the plans, finally.  As a planner and an engineer, we definitely worked through all the kinks and were able to optimize our time.  We even booked the remaining hotels for our trip!  So it now looks like we'll be taking 2 days in Brussesl, Belgium, 4 days through Germany by train and rental car (Frankfurt, Rothenburg, the "Romantic Road", Fussen, and Munich), a day trip to Reutte, Austria, and 2 days in Paris, France.  That'll be 3 new countries for my list...a mere 1 for the more-well-traveled Deb...(this is her 4th trip to Europe...first time to Belgium).

I think the hotel that we've talked about the most is Hotel Gasthof Goldener Greifen in Rothenburg ob der Tauber .  Reason is we keep calling it Gryffindor, thanks of course to Harry Potter.  The funny thing is, I had to look up the name of the hotel because I only know it as Gryffindor. 

Deb got me a good book for Christmas, which is very different from the political thrillers I enjoy most...it's a book on the Eiffel Tower written from the construction, feasibility, etc stand point.  Never knew there was so much controversy behind it, including Parisians not wanting it... I am enjoying it thoroughly and learning much about it's construction.  They started talking engineering and I couldn't help but be intrigued!  I'm sure when we are in Paris in two months I'll be quite ready to start telling Deb how the tower was designed for wind!  Dorky engineer, I know...

Book: Eiffel's Tower by Jill Jonnes

No comments:

Post a Comment