Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Wilton Rose

Tonight was the last class of my first Wilton Cake Decorating course.

Since Terence is out of town this week visiting his family in Florida, I decided to bring the cake to work, because honestly at this point it doesn't even sound good! I made a 9-inch double layered funfetti cake, smooth iced at home. As you can see I did get down that 90 degree angle on the edges, but it appears that I skimped too much on the icing and I think it looks a little bare. The 90 degree angle was achieved by using a blade to scrap the sides, THEN across the cake, not from the bottom of the sides up across the cake (like I did last week).

Throughout the course we have been learning parts of the Wilton rose technique. The base of the rose, built with a tip #12, and the petals in rows of 1, 3, 5, and 7, tip #104. You can even watch a how-to video on wilton.com. I can't say that I mastered the rose, there may have been some cursing, but I did end up getting a few good ones out. I eventually got the leaves to come out right as well, using tip # 352. Although the "leaf green" Wilton icing color looks more like neon green to me! After the centerpiece was in on the cake, I added some simple dots, tip #3, and a seashell border, tip #21 and voila!


Hope everyone enjoys work tomorrow!

Oh and if anyone is interested, Michael's is offering 50% off classes for the month of February.

No comments:

Post a Comment