Thursday, June 25, 2009

Beer-A-Mids Softball

Two weeks ago I joined a Pearland softball league, the Beer-A-Mids. Back in May I played in a tournament with Dannenbaum Engineering (you can find the old post) and met some folks that set me up with this team. We play down in Independence Park in the heart of Pearland. It’s where Debbie and I play tennis (when the weather isn’t 100+!!!!). Each week we play two games, anywhere between 6:30PM and 10:30PM… One of the funnier elements of our league is the beer fines, something none of the other teams I have played on have. If you strikeout it’s $3, if you pop out its $2…other fines for double plays, last outs of the inning, etc. It’s pretty funny…striving NOT to make the last out for instance!

Anyways, the first week we split the two games. I went 2 for 7 overall, with one hit in each game and a pair of RBI’s. I blame the heat, my recovering ankle (from the sprain), and well, the layoff! Ha…no excuses, it’s beer league softball, I just didn't do so hot! Not to mention, I ended so many innings and such, I raked up $8 in fines from the first week! What a crock! Carrying a 0.286 batting average into the second week was cool and all, but I had my redemption. I went 7 for 9 with 6 RBI’s last week, capping off the night with a HR, two doubles and a 5 for 5 second game. Again we split the night…winning and losing one. Playing .500 ball right now, but I think over the course of the eight week season, we will compete for the title. Maybe…

All in all, the new softball league is a lot of fun, with a great group of guys. Plus, I am really enjoying getting out there and playing. Since my baseball career never happened, this is as close as I’ll ever get…beer league softball! I’ll update later today or tomorrow how tonight goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment