Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Chocolate Chocolate Stout Cupcakes

with a cream cheese icing!


A few weeks ago a friend of mine had a going away party as she had gotten a job at the National Weather Service in California, awesome! I decided to bring some cupcakes for dessert, which really just gave me an excuse to get out a recipe I had been wanting to make.

I used Epicurious' (from Bon Appetit) recipe for Chocolate Stout Cupcakes, but instead of Guinness I decided to use Young's Double Chocolate Stout (so Terence could drink the leftovers)! I later determined that there wasn't so much of a Stout taste in the cupcakes and this may have been due to the overwhelming chocolaty-ness.

Lots'o'butter, Paula Deen would approve!

This recipe filled my 5 Qt. KitchenAid mixer to the brim, or in cupcake terms it made about 4 dozen.


I then used Brown Eyed Baker's recipe for Cream Cheese frosting. I chose this recipe because I was looking for something a little fluffier and not so heavy since the cupcake flavor was so intense.


After the cupcakes were cooled to room temperature, I used my Wilton tips and bag to get them to look a little professional. I think I left the icing out too long because it was pretty soft and the design didn't hold that well.

I ended up throwing all the decorated cupcakes in the fridge to harden the icing up a bit, but I really don't prefer this as it tends to dry out the cake. I still haven't figured out how cake/cupcake shops can not refrigerate their cakes iced with cream cheese frosting, wouldn't it go bad!? If anyone has answers I would really appreciate the advice!

End result: Yummy! They were super moist, thanks to the beer, and had a very dark chocolate taste. The cream cheese frosting was eh, I think I will keep hunting for that ultimate fluffiness.

Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Debbie! These look gorgeous...and SO yummy. Makes me want to make them.

    ReplyDelete